Friday, February 08, 2008

sayings of Jesus on the cross

Jesus’ crucifixion as portrayed by Diego VelázquezThe seven sayings of Jesus on the cross are a traditional collection of seven short phrases uttered by Jesus at his crucifixion gathered from the four Gospels, immediately before he died.

Seven sayings

The seven sayings form part of a Christian meditation that is often used during
  • Lent,
  • Holy Week, and
  • Good Friday

The traditional order of the sayings is:

  1. Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do
    (Luke 23:34).

  2. Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise
    (Luke 23:43).

  3. Woman, behold your son: behold your mother
    (John 19:26).

  4. Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?
    ("My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?", Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).

  5. I thirst
    (John 19:28).

  6. It is finished
    (John 19:30).

  7. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit
    (Luke 23:46).


More...

No comments:

 

Subscribe

 

Blog Archive

LifeNews.com

Desiring God Blog

Youth for Christ International