Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hayah-‘asher-Hayah

The name Hayah (Hebrew: היה) denotes God's potency in the immediate future, to be, exist, be present; happen, occur, take place: become, turn into, and is part of YHVH. The phrase "Hayah-'asher-Hayah" (Hebrew: אהיה אשר אהיה) comes from the word Hayah and is used a total of 43 places in the Old Testament, where it is usually translated as "I will be" -- as is the case for its first occurrence, in Exodus 3:14:
14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
or "I shall be," as is the case for its final occurrence in Zechariah 8:8. This stems from the Hebrew conception of monotheism—that God exists within each and everyone and by himself, the uncreated Creator who does not depend on anything or anyone; therefore "I AM WHO I AM." Some scholars state the Tetragrammaton itself derives from the same verbal root, but others counter that it may simply sound similar as intended by God, such as Proverbs 8:34 and the Hebrew words "shaqad" (Hebrew: שקד, to bow, bend) and "shaqed" (Hebrew שקד, almond branch) found in Jeremiah 1:11-12.

More...

No comments:

 

Subscribe

 

Blog Archive

LifeNews.com

Desiring God Blog

Youth for Christ International