This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria. –Luke 2:2Before becoming too "theologically preoccupied" with the doubts on Luke's accuracy regarding the Census of Quirinius, there are several things to consider:
- Christian's believe in the accuracy of the Bible because:
- the biblical writers themselves held and taught this view
- if the bible is not accurate on this point, if may not be accurate in other areas as well.
- 3 Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught. –Luke 1:3-4
- Regardless of what Luke's reference to Quirinius is, the birth of Jesus is still a complete fulfillment of Isaiah 7:13-14:
13 Then Isaiah said, "Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of men? Will you try the patience of my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
Includes Youtube: Zeitgeist Refuted