Friday, June 12, 2009

Hayah-'aher-Hayah

Michelangelo‘s depiction of God in the painting Creation of the Sun and Moon in the Sistine Chapel.The name Hayah (Hebrew: היה) denotes God's potency in the immediate future, to be, exist, be present; happen, occur, take place: become, turn into, and is part of YHVH. The phrase "Hayah-'aher-Hayah" (Hebrew: אהיה אשר אהיה) comes from the word Hayah and is used a total of 43 places in the Old Testament, where it is usually translated as "I will be" -- as is the case for its first occurrence, in Exodus 3:12 -- or "I shall be," as is the case for its final occurrence in Zechariah 8:8. It stems from the Hebrew conception of monotheism—that God exists within each and everyone and by himself, the uncreated Creator who does not depend on anything or anyone; therefore "I am who I am." Some scholars state the Tetragrammaton itself derives from the same verbal root, but others counter that it may simply sound similar as intended by God, such as Proverbs 8:34 and the Hebrew words "shaqad" (Hebrew: שקד, watching) and "shaqed" (Hebrew שקד, almond branch) found in Jeremiah 1:11-12.

I am that I am1 (Hebrew: אהיה אשר אהיה, pronounced ''Hayah 'aher Hayah') is the sole response used in (Exodus 3:14) when Moses asked for God's name. It is one of the most famous verses in the Hebrew Bible. Hayah means "existed" or "was" in Hebrew; Hayah is the first-person singular imperfect form. Hayah 'aher Hayah is generally interpreted to mean "I will be what I will be", I shall be what I shall be or I am that I am (King James Bible and others).

More...

No comments:

 

Subscribe

 

Blog Archive

LifeNews.com

Desiring God Blog

Youth for Christ International